Humanity has gone through many studies and thousands of discoveries so we could know what we know today. But not everything has been easy, numerous theories and hypothesis turned out to be wrong thanks to the perseverance, intuition and curiosity of great scientists that brought them down.
With this said, I number 5 theories that long ago were thought to be absolute truths but we now know are far from being facts:
- Alchemy can change lead into gold, is able to create the philosopher’s stone and the life elixir.
- The Earth is 6,000 years old.
- The Atom is the smallest particle in the Universe.
- Heavier objects fall faster than lighter ones.
- The liver is the organ who is in charge of sending blood to the entire body.
The statements above were firmly believed. This is one of the main reasons why we must not be surprised if what we think today turns out not to be true in a near future. That’s why it is really important to constantly:
- break paradigms,
- refuse any type of dogma,
- think outside the box,
- question what has been stipulated by others or by ourselves, and
- always keep questioning.
Finally, I would like to bring out this video in which Steve Jobs shares a couple of thoughts with Stanford’s graduated students in 2005. If you haven’t seen it, it will definitely leave you a couple of things to think about, and if you have already seen it, it’s worth watching it again.